9.28.2008

O U C H ! ! !

Have you ever got out of bed and couldn't walk? Yeah, I felt like a 108 year old women last Thursday. I got out of bed and my right foot hurt!!! I wanted to cut it off it hurt so bad. I had to hobble around and when I got to school I asked the school's athletic trainer, Tiffany (my friend), to assess this situation. She said I had Plantar Fasciitis.

Plantar Fasciitis: Plantar fasciitis is an inflammatory condition that causes intense heel pain. The main cause of plantar fasciitis: overstretching the plantar fascia ligament, the muscle that stretches from the heel to the ball of the foot and also supports the foot's arch.

this probably happened from the activities the days before: running, softball, basketball, hiking for two days, wearing heels...It is not good because I had an 8K (5 miles) race to run in two days!

Tiffany was so kind and did some physical therapy on my foot Thursday & Friday. With the miracle work of Tiffany I was able to run the 8K on Saturday. My friends Anna & Jodi also ran the race. Anna was a lightening bullet and passed Jodi & me in the first nanosecond; but Jodi & I ran @ a calm & collected pace while enjoying the rain falling on our sweaty bodies. And yes, I ran the entire 5 miles -- even with plantar fasciitis!

The unfortunate thing...I hurt it worse a few days later. On Tuesday, I was playing in a softball game and while rounding 1st base, I heard & felt fibers ripping on my foot. I hobbled off the field in distress. The next day, I was literally hopping on one foot sometimes. I learned that when I sit for a while, it isn't "warmed up" and it is hard to walk. Ugh. The next two days, Tiffany worked on it again. So now here I am, 10 days after the initally pain and it still hurts but I haven't ran, played basketball, or any other sporty thing. BUT...our softball championship games are on Tuesday and I have to play! (I hope to play!) Wish me luck.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

I'm impressed you ran the race anyway. Way to go! That foot thing would kill. I hope it gets better so you can play in the softball game.